In this delightful culinary adventure, we’re going to explore a classic and heartwarming Steam Pudding with Fruit Mince and Carrots recipe. This fusion of rich, moist pudding and the vibrant Flavors of fruit mince and carrots is a true testament to comfort food.
Whether you’re an experienced home cook or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe will guide you through the process, ensuring a mouthwatering result.
Steam Pudding with Fruit Mince and Carrots
Steam pudding is a timeless dessert that exudes warmth and nostalgia. When combined with the surprising twist of fruit mince and carrots, it becomes a delightful fusion of sweet and savory.
This article will walk you through each step of the process, from preparation to serving, ensuring you create a culinary masterpiece in the comfort of your own kitchen.
let’s gather the essential ingredients:
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of butter, softened.
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
1 cup of fruit mince (store-bought or homemade)
1 cup of grated carrots
To make this steam pudding, you’ll need the following equipment:
Pudding Mold or a heatproof bowl with a lid
Steamer or a large pot with a steaming rack
Foil or parchment paper
Steam Pudding with Fruit Mince and Carrots Recipe
Preparing the Fruit Mince
To save time, you can use store-bought fruit mince, but making your own adds a personal touch:
In a bowl, combine dried fruits (raisins, currants, and sultanas), mixed peel, brown sugar, and a touch of brandy or orange juice.
Let it sit for a few hours or overnight to allow the Flavors to melt.
Grating the Carrots
Wash and peel the carrots.
Use a fine grater to grate the carrots into small, even pieces.
Mixing Dry Ingredients
In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
Mix these dry ingredients thoroughly.
Combining Wet Ingredients
In another bowl, beat the softened butter until creamy.
Add the eggs and vanilla extract, continuing to mix until well combined.
Gradually incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet mixture while adding the milk.
Mix until you have a smooth batter.
Incorporating Fruit Mince and Carrots
Gently fold in the prepared fruit mince and grated carrots into the pudding batter.
Ensure even distribution of these delightful additions.
Steam Pudding with Fruit Mince and Carrots Recipe – Steaming Process
Grease your pudding mold or heatproof bowl.
Pour the pudding batter into the mold, leaving some space for expansion.
Cover the mold with a lid or foil, securing it tightly.
Place the mold in a steamer or a large pot with a steaming rack.
Steam the pudding for approximately 2 to 2.5 hours, ensuring the water in the steamer or pot is constantly replenished.
The pudding is ready when a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
Serving and Garnishing
Once your steam pudding with fruit mince and carrots is perfectly steamed, it’s time to Savor and share:
Let it cool slightly before unmoulding.
Serve warm, topped with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Garnish with a sprinkle of grated carrots and a drizzle of honey for an extra touch of sweetness.
Best Steamed Pudding Recipe
A steamed pudding is a classic dessert, capturing the essence of comfort and tradition. This recipe yields a moist and flavorful steamed pudding that’s rich in taste and history.
- 1 cup Sultanas (Golden Raisins): Adds sweetness and a burst of flavor.
- 1 cup Currants: Small, dark, and slightly tart, they complement the sweetness of the sultanas.
- 1 cup Chopped Dates: Adds a chewy texture and natural sweetness.
- 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar: Deepens the flavor and contributes to the pudding’s rich color.
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter: Provides moisture and richness.
- 1 cup Dark Molasses or Treacle: For a robust, caramelized flavor.
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour: Gives structure to the pudding.
- 1 cup Fresh Breadcrumbs: Adds texture and absorbs excess moisture.
- 1 cup Whole Milk: Ensures a moist and tender consistency.
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda: Acts as a leavening agent.
- 1 teaspoon Mixed Spice (Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice): Infuses warmth and depth.
- A pinch of Salt: Enhances the overall flavor.
- Butter or Cooking Spray for greasing the pudding basin.
- Prepare the Pudding Basin: Grease a pudding basin generously with butter or cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Mix the Dry Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, breadcrumbs, mixed spice, and a pinch of salt. Stir well to distribute the spices evenly.
- Prepare the Fruits: In a separate bowl, combine the sultanas, currants, chopped dates, and dark brown sugar. Toss the mixture until the fruits are well-coated in sugar.
- Combine Wet Ingredients: In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the molasses or treacle and stir until well combined. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients.
- Mix the Batter: Add the milk and baking soda to the bowl, stirring until the batter is well-mixed and has a consistent texture.
- Fold in the Fruits: Gently fold the sugared fruit mixture into the batter, ensuring even distribution.
- Fill the Pudding Basin: Pour the batter into the prepared pudding basin, leaving some space at the top for the pudding to expand during steaming.
- Steam the Pudding: Cover the pudding basin with a lid or a double layer of greased parchment paper and secure it with a string. Place the basin in a large steamer or a deep pot with a trivet. Steam the pudding for 3 to 4 hours, ensuring there’s enough water in the steamer.
- Serve Warm: Once steamed, let the pudding rest for a few minutes before turning it out onto a plate. Serve warm with a dollop of custard or a drizzle of caramel sauce.
This classic steamed pudding recipe captures the essence of timeless desserts. The combination of rich molasses, a blend of dried fruits, and warm spices results in a moist and flavorful pudding that’s perfect for festive occasions or a comforting treat on any day.
The Steam Pudding with Fruit Mince and Carrots recipe is a culinary masterpiece that combines the rich, comforting essence of steam pudding with the vibrant flavors of fruit mince and the subtle sweetness of carrots.
Whether you serve it as a comforting family dessert or an impressive dinner party treat, this recipe is sure to leave a lasting impression.